Citizenship Page Visa

Why should I become a citizen

In becoming a citizen of Jamaica persons will be able to bask in the pride of national achievement and identify with other great Jamaicans such as Bob Marley, Usain Bolt, Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce, Tessane Chin and Louise Bennett among others.

Advantages of becoming a Jamaican citizen:

Some of the advantages of becoming a Jamaican citizen include but not limited to the ability to:

• Acquire a Jamaican Passport
• Work without a work permit
• Vote in General and Local Government Elections
• Receive Social benefits and get access to government programmes
• Exemption from international Fees at Jamaica’s premier universities
• Duty free allowance from customs and at the airport
• Right to free speech
• Register non-Jamaican Spouse as a citizen of Jamaica





Does Jamaica recognize dual nationality?

Yes, Jamaica recognizes dual citizenship.

How to apply for a certified copy Of a certificate of jamaican citizenship?

The applicant should have been granted an original Certificate of Jamaican Citizenship.
1. A letter applying for a Certified Copy should be addressed to:-
The Chief Executive Officer Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency 25c Constant Spring Road Kingston 10
The letter should state the Name, Address and File Reference Certificate number of the applicant. The applicant is required to state what has happened to the original Certificate of Citizenship and why the certified copy is required.
2. The letter should be accompanied by the following documents:- (i.) Recent Police Report on the status of Original Certificate;
(ii.) A Certified Passport sized photograph of applicant;
(iii.) Parent’s photo I.D. if applicant is a minor; (iv.) The appropriate fee (See fee structure below)
3. Compliant applications are processed within 5 working days
. COST Applications submitted locally will attract a non-refundable fee of JMD$5000.00. Payment for local applications will only be accepted in Jamaican dollars.
Fees for the various foreign currencies are accepted but are only applicable to applications submitted through the Jamaican High Commission Consulates/Embassies.

For forms and fees click here

What is the length of time for obtaining one's citizenship?

The processing time for citizenship s dependent on the category of the application:

Applications for Citizenship by Descent are processed within 30 days
Applications for Citizenship by virtue of Marriage are prepared for submission to the Minister for approval within 24 months
Naturalization will be processed within 24 months
Registration (Commonwealth citizens) will be processed within 24 months
Registration (Minors) will be processed within 24 months

Where can I apply?

At the Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) located at 25 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10 and at our branch office in Montego Bay at Overton Plaza, 49 Union Street.

Jamaican High Commission, Pretoria.

Is there an express service in the Citizenship Unit?

Currently the Agency does not offer express service in the processing of citizenship applications.

Who can submit an application on my behalf?

PICA will accept applications from: 1) ATTORNEYS
2) Persons authorized in writing by the parent of a minor who is entitled to citizenship by Descent

Can my application be made online?

Currently, applications are accepted at 25 Constant Spring Road or at any Jamaican High Commission, Embassy or Consulate overseas.

Are photocopied documents acceptable?

No, only originals are to be submitted.

Can I use my laminated document in support of my application?

Laminated documents are not acceptable.

How long can I be married to a Jamaican before I can apply for citizenship by virtue of Marriage?

There is no waiting period for applicants to submit an application

I am national of a commonwealth country, do I have to Pledge the Oath of Allegiance?

Only Non-commonwealth nationals are required to do so.

Do I have to be living in Jamaica to apply for Jamaican citizenship?

Only if you are applying for Registration (Adult) and Naturalization

If my parent is a Justice of the Peace or Notary Public can he/she certify documents being used in my citizenship application?

Close relatives, ie, parents, grandparents, brothers or sisters are NOT allowed to certify

I was born in Jamaica and am trying to procure a copy of my birth certificate. The Registrar General’s Department has advised that my birth was never registered. How do I obtain proof of citizenship?

Persons who claim to have been born in Jamaica but whose birth was never recorded can apply for a document to identify them as a citizen of Jamaica. This process is referred to as Citizenship in case of Doubt.


What is extension of stay?

An extension of stay is granted when non-Commonwealth and Commonwealth nationals enter the island and seek to alter their status for the purpose of work, study etc.

How long does the process take for an extension of stay and where do I apply?

The process takes three (3) working days for applications submitted at PICA’s Kingston office at 25 Constant Spring Road, Kingston 10 and seven (7) working days for applications submitted at our office at Overton Plaza, 49 Union Street in Montego Bay.

Do Commonwealth nationals require visas for entry into Jamaica?

No, however nationals of Pakistan, Sri Lanka, the Cayman Islands, Nigeria and the British Virgin Islands will need a visa.

Does the entire family need to have an entry visa if coming from a non-Commonwealth (alien) country?

Yes, however some nationals from non-Commonwealth countries are permitted to enter Jamaica for varying periods without a visa

What are the types of extensions available?

Visitor; Work Permit; Student; Marriage Exemption; Dependent; Permanent Residence and Unconditional Landing

What documents do I need to apply for Unconditional Landing (UL)?

All documents must be original. Married females must present marriage certificates. Adoption Certificates & Deed Polls where applicable. Submit also birth certificate; passport. Applications based on Descent – birth certificate; passport; Father/Mother’s birth certificate & identification (passport or driver’s licence) UL applicants who received Naturalization/Citizenship – Naturalization/Citizenship Certificate; passport & birth certificate (child & parent). Applicants with Caribbean Community (free movement of skilled persons) certificate – passport; Certificate of Recognition of Caribbean Community Skills (issued by Min. of Labour); birth and/or marriage certificate of dependent. All applicants must complete an extension of stay form obtainable at PICA offices in Kingston and Montego Bay.

For more information on becoming a citizen of Jamaica, please follow the link below to  the Passport Immigration Citizenship Agency’s (PICA) website.